Wednesday, August 12, 2009



My intentions for this blog were not only to post my work, but my inspirations. As Ive mentioned before I have met some truely inspirational women since starting SMG, and have developed friendships with these women. We support and help each other in our our business and our personal lives, it may only be via typed word, a twitter or an email, but as I sit in my home office working away, these beautiful women are always right there with me, making me smile and laugh. Im so thankful for these new friends and want to share some of them with you...

Hayley - www.littlepinwheel.com.au

What inspired you to start your online business ?

It was when my husband and I decided we would have a baby I became very interested in all things little. I would go into shops and have a look at what you could buy for babies and I thought that it was all so cute and lovely. I actually wanted to open a bricks and mortar store before I was pregnant, but then decided that I would wait until I knew what it was like to be a mum. It took me 3 years to come up with what I wanted and to research what I thought other mums would want for their little ones. My children, Keely and Taj, are my inspiration behind Little Pinwheel and I am sure they will continue to inspire me.

How did you come up with the name 'Little Pinwheel' ?

I actually really loved the name Pinwheel first, although it was taken so my husband suggested to put ‘little’ in front as it is all about little people. Pinwheel comes from my view on children, I love the colours of a pinwheel and I love what a simple toy can do a child’s imagination. Their faces light up when they see the colours spin from the wind or from them blowing it around.

What did you want to be when you were a little girl ?

I actually really wanted to be a Park Ranger, I had a love of outdoors and animals. I did work experience as a Ranger and I really did think that I would be one. It is interesting how life changes often and your dreams can change. I admire those who follow through with their childhood dreams.

What is your favourite colour ?

Well, I wouldn’t say favourite, I would more say I am kind of obsessed with this colour…. RED. It is everywhere in my house, tastefully everywhere! If a simple thing like a toaster comes in red then I will have a red toaster! Then to balance the kitchen out the toaster is stainless. So I am obsessed, but quietly obsessed! I am yet to find a great pair of red shoes, I am still on the hunt.

What is the best thing about being a work at home mum ?

My husband and I decided before we had children that I would be a SAHM and I would be the one to raise our children. So for me the best thing about working from home is the fact I can still be the mum I want to be for my children. I also love the fact that my daughter, Keely, is so involved in Little Pinwheel, she role-plays shopping on the website. Keely packs orders for her customers, it is all very cute!

What advise do you have for other mums wanting to start a business from home ?

Firstly, if your heart is in it then go for it! The one thing that has really worked for me is to involve my children. Making them part of Little Pinwheel makes it fun to pack orders and it becomes more a game rather then time that mum cannot play other things with them. I am a person that believes if you have a dream then follow it, what is the worst thing that can happen?

How do you juggle the balance of working at home and being mum ?

Lots of working at night! I try to do a lot of my work on Wednesdays and Fridays when Keely goes to pre-school. Taj has two big sleeps and it is amazing what I can get done in that time. Keely does not have a day sleep anymore and as this is the case when it is her lunch time she has quiet time while mummy does a bit of work. She said to me a few weeks ago that she was lucky that I have Little Pinwheel so she can be at home with me all the time.

What do you do to relax / what is your idea of a relaxing day ?

Relax…can I laugh! Ok I guess my relaxing time is when I sit down and have a herbal tea. I am really into drinking tea and for me this is my time, even if it is for 5 or 10 minutes. Simple things can relax me, so a relaxing day to me is to take my little ones to the beach and build sandcastles. That to me is relaxing.

Tell us 3 of your favourite things in your shop right now ?

I have only just received Rittenhouse summer, which is for the fashion conscious mum. Being a fashion victim myself this is divine. I have ordered so much of it for my daughter and my son. It is all made in Australia and there is nothing like supporting Australian designers! My favourite items, so far, are all from the Rittenhouse range and they are, the Pony dress, the Paramount tee and for the little ones it would have to be the Lucia pilchers. There is so much more to come and I know if you ask me the same question in a couple of weeks it will change!

VISIT LITTLE PIN WHEEL NOW FOR 40% OFF WINTER CLOTHING.CHECKOUT THE NEW SUMMER ARRIVALS FROM RITTENHOUSE, POLKA, SUDO AND MILL & MIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment